The GPS app allows you to easily navigate along the trails and quickly find the best route to your destination. Also, apps track your hikes and show you the details about each hike such as the duration, distance, ascent. Some hiking apps come with preloaded trails so that you can easily find hikes near your location.
Better than a dedicated device?
GPS is used to map forests, help farmers harvest their fields and airplane pilots navigate on the ground or in the air. GPX support is useful for sharing tracks. The NSW topographic maps contain a lot more useful information than Google or Open Source Maps. Topographical maps, also known as general-purpose maps, are drawn at relatively large scales. Topographic maps are used for recreational purposes, such as traveling, hiking, and orienteering.
How do apps prevent trouble?
To prevent you from getting into trouble, while you are walking through the wilderness, you get some fresh air, exercise, and some time away from things like the internet. Many of them are even usable offline in case you’re going way out into the middle of nowhere. At that time some apps that you can take along that might prove useful.
Global Positioning System(GPS) applications generally fall into 5 major categories:
- Location – determining a position
- Navigation – getting from one location to another
- Tracking – monitoring object or personal movement
- Mapping – creating maps of the world
- Timing – bringing precise timing to the world
Review of Gaia GPS:
Gaia GPS is available in both iOS and Android versions. It is compatible with many Apple devices but is limited to smartphones and tablets when it comes to Android. A mobile phone application that could easily replace your old GPS device. You can use it anywhere in the world, although some features may only be available in certain countries.
The best example of the GAIA GPS advantage is GAIA GPS’ full line of National Geographic Trails Illustrated Maps. Even in Airplane Mode, your smartphone will communicate with GPS Satellites to get your location.
Cost of Gaia GPS:
This app is free and you can access most services. The Gaia GPS offers without having to pay for a subscription service. But, you miss out on a lot of great services and tools. The cost of this app is $19.99/year for a Basic Membership. Membership includes unlimited map downloads and access to dozens of map sources.
Advantages of Gaia GPS:
- Customize your own routes and waypoints makes traveling a lot easier
- Using this app is one of the safest ways for you to off-road and backpack and be able to know where you are in real-time
- You can easily search for individual destinations, tracks, roads, trails, waypoints, etc. and save them then you can easily access them from your saved items.
- The Gaia GPS one of the most attractive features is the ability to use it offline. You are n’t worried about your mobile network coverage or data use, just simply download a section of a map and use it for your navigation offline.
- This app ensures that they provide you with the most accurate information. So, you can enjoy your adventure without any doubts or fears.
The maps are available to you and can be browsed through either type, activity, or area.
- Under type, you can access topographic, satellite, road, nautical, aviation, historic, NatGeo, and weather maps.
- Under activity, you can see hiking, offroad, camping, backpacking, and backcountry skiing, among other sports-related maps.
- Under location, you can access worldwide, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Europe, and Asia maps.
- Final Thoughts on the Best Hiking Apps
Final Thoughts on the Best Hiking Apps
The Gaia GPS app now includes a trail search feature, as well. The AllTrails app is best known for its trail search feature. You can search for many well-reviewed trails, typically day-hikes near your current location.